The other day a friend of mine came back from the City of Orem court. She had a story to tell that is fitting to this occasion. She went to court to fight an undefined traffic violation when she was stopped by a orem cop as she drove back to her neighborhood. She owns a beautiful home south of happy Valley Orem, Utah. She was questioned profusely why she was in the neighborhood and when she replied that she was going home, the cop, in condescension, said "Sure you are". He asked why she was even in that neighborhood when she replied" I live here", the cop again replied , " Sure you do, how can you even own a house in this neighborhood." That neighborhood in the south of Orem has expensive upperclass homes. She was told to get of the car, dogs came to search sniffing and found nothing.
She wanted to fight the citation that said " possibly speeding". What happened in court that day is another story.
My friend is a beautiful Samoan American Princess married to a responsible intelligent Hawaiian man and they are raising four kids in Orem, Utah. She is pregnant and will be having a baby girl in November.
She is smart, funny and hardworking. She loves everyone around her. She is nurturing and she serves others. I love her.
I thought about this and stepped back for a moment and watched my emotions played. I was a bit wonted. I wanted to be angry and appalled and uncomfortable but there was almost nothing. Like I expect these stories from time to time and more that often.
As much as I wanted to empathized with her and what she had to go through, I am distressed with the fact that I know this happens ever so often in a community of people who claim to be have raised the bar on issues of inclusion and diversity in their practice of religious rights.
This is the real story. Me and my real expectations. and almost corrupt pessimism.
I feel I have the right to be scared, defensive and unprecedented in encountering forms of racism and inequality. I should have the right to fight this in a real forum and a nationwide symposium for all the world to hear. Not in a traffic court like I just run a red light. Why, because in all these years of humanity, the wars we fought for oppression, slavery, colonialism, and independence and sovereignty, we should be passed this ignorance.
Moreover, because we are a testimonial race who gather stories of overcoming, we can do better in our day to day human interactions and exemplify what we were taught. That this self-centered lie that that eats our core and hinders us to achieve basic humanity to have the right to treat others as we would not want to be treated should not rule our lives.
This is my "fourth of July" contribution. I know that as the fireworks fizzle and the smoke creeps away on the ground we stand, we can truly see that this earth that we stand on is on a lease and our borrowed time is best spent with true principles and integrity that will make our posterity stand in awe and gasp in disbelief that when one of their friends come home with stories like my friend's, they will feel like its from an anomalous time capsule buried so many years ago and should have been left there.
Have a great fourth of July, let's all remember how this day came about.
Friday, July 4, 2014
Happy Fourth of July!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment